The nominations for the 39th Annual Daytime Emmy Awards were announced this morning by Kathie Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotb on the fourth hour of The Today Show – or as some soap fans like to call, that ridiculous extra hour that replaced the even more ridiculous Passions.
The awards **might** air on HNL on Saturday, June 23rd. Will keep you posted.
OUTSTANDING DRAMA SERIES All My Children Days of our Lives General Hospital The Young and the Restless
OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES Crystal Chappell (Carly, Days of our Lives) Debbi Morgan (Angie, All My Children) Erika Slezak (Vicki, One Life to Live) Heather Tom (Katie, The Bold and the Beautiful) Laura Wright (Carly, General Hospital)
OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES Maurice Benard (Sonny, General Hospital) Anthony Geary (Luke, General Hospital) John McCook (Eric, The Bold and the Beautiful) Darnell Williams (Jesse, All My Children) Robert S. Woods (Bo, One Life to Live) OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES Melissa Claire Egan (Annie, All My Children) Genie Francis (Genevieve, The Young and the Restless) Nancy Lee Grahn (Alexis, General Hospital) Elizabeth Hendrickson (Chloe, The Young and the Restless) Rebecca Herbst (Elizabeth, General Hospital)
OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES Bradford Anderson (Spinelli, General Hospital) Matthew Ashford (Jack, Days of our Lives) Sean Blakemore (Shawn, General Hospital) Jonathan Jackson (Lucky, General Hospital) Jason Thompson (Patrick, General Hospital)
OUTSTANDING YOUNGER ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES Molly Burnett (Melanie, Days of our Lives) Shelley Hennig (Stephanie, Days of our Lives) Christel Khalil (Lily, The Young and the Restless) Jacqueline MacInnes Wood (Steffy, THe Bold and the Beautiful)
OUTSTANDING YOUNGER ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES Eddie Alderson (Matthew, One Life to Live) Chad Duell (Michael, General Hospital) Chandler Massey (Will, Days of our Lives) Nathan Parsons (Ethan, General Hospital)
OUTSTANDING DIRECTING TEAM The Bold and the Beautiful General Hospital One Life to Live The Young and the Restless
OUTSTANDING WRITING TEAM All My Children Days of our Lives General Hospital The Young and the Restless
OUTSTANDING TALK SHOW (ENTERTAINMENT) The Ellen DeGeneres Show Live with Regis & Kelly The Talk The View
OUTSTANDING TALK SHOW (INFORMATIVE) Anderson Dr. Oz The Doctors
OUTSTANDING GAME SHOW HOST Ben Bailey (Cash Cab) Todd Newton (Family Game Night) Wayne Brady (Let’s Make A Deal) Meredith Vieira (Who Wants to be a Millionaire)
OUTSTANDING LIFESTYLE HOST Giada De Laurentiis (Giada at Home) Rick Bayless (Mexico One Plate at a Time with Rick Bayless) Paul Deen (Paula’s Best Dishes) Sandra Lee (Semi-Homemade Cooking with Sandra Lee)
OUTSTANDING TALK SHOW HOST Anderson Cooper (Anderson) Dr. Mehmet Oz (Dr. Oz) Regis Philbin & Kelly Ripa (Live with Regis & Kelly) Rachael Ray (Rachael Ray)
All the doctors (Doctors)
– Christie Clark (Carrie) and Patrick Muldoon (Austin) taped their final scenes on Days of our Lives yesterday. What a waste of potential.
– Meanwhile, Brant Daugherty (Noel, Pretty Little Liars) has booked a guest arc on DAYS opposite Will and Sonny.
– General Hospital’s executive producer Frank Valentiniconfirmed on Twitter that Brandon Barash (Johnny) isn’t exiting the soap.
– The wait is almost over…Kristina Wagner returns to GH tomorrow as Felicia.
– Grayson McCouch (ex-Dusty, As the World Turns; ex-Morgan, Another World) has been cast as Dr. Don Masters in the new Nickelodeon soap, Hollywood Heights.
– As reported last week, Sean Kanan is headed back to The Bold and the Beautiful as Deacon Sharpe beginning May 24th. As per TV Guide, look for Deacon to be lured back to Los Angeles by Bill to help break up Liam and Hope. Looking forward to see if they ever address Little D/Little Eric’s (born in 1999) whereabouts. Especially since he was supposed to be older than Hope (who was born on screen in 2002) – significantly aging Amber (and by extension Rick), who schemed to get Hope’s man Liam last year. Of course, Brooke doesn’t look a day over 40.
– As sins from Phyllis’ (Michelle Stafford) past begin to be exposed next month on The Young and the Restless thanks to Ricky (Peter Porte), look for Aaron Lustig to return as Dr. Tim Reid. To refresh your memory, Dr. Reid was Phyllis’ court-appointed marriage counselor, whom she ended bedding and blackmailed with a sextape. The doctor later crossed over to The Bold and the Beautiful in 2001 and dealt with another redheaded vixen, Morgan DeWitt (Sarah Buxton). Michael Damian and Lauralee Bell are also back next month for this story as Danny and CricketThe Bug Christine.
– Most Y&R fans can agree that the show doesn’t always know what to do with their younger characters (see Noah Newman), but Blake Hood, who makes his debut as the aged Kyle Jenkins Abbott today (in Canada, tomorrow in the U.S.) has told Soaps in Depththat he’s here to stay, “I’ve been here every day this week. I’m busy here. There’s not much time for anything else.”
What’s coming up:
The Bold and the Beautiful: Hope continues to pop pills in Aspen because of the paparazzi. Taylor and Ridge take a stand against Brooke in regards to their children. Caroline is troubled by a family secret (lesbians, they’re getting lesbians). Jon Hensley (ex-Holden, ATWT) appears as a doctor on May 1 and 2.
Days of our Lives: John races to save Marlena. Kate and Sami battle it out after Kate catches Sami in bed with Lucas. Madison asks Justin to handle her divorce. Brady finds out that Nicole is pregnant. EJ finds out that he’s not Stefano’s son. An explosion rocks the safe house. Charles Shaughnessy returns as Shane Donovan next week.
General Hospital: Luke asks Anna for help. Sam and Carly confide in each other. Carly takes a peak at Kate’s medical file. Starr vows revenge against Sonny. Dante and McBain work together. Todd and Tea arrive to help Starr in the charges against her. Mac and Felicia find themselves in an awkward position.
The Young and the Restless: Kyle is hurt that Jack has moved on with Nikki. Cane is investigated by the SEC. Ashley finds out that Tucker has been hiding the truth about his past with Genevieve. Victor and Sharon become romantic. Yuck.
– General Hospital has cast its new Kristina! Lindsey Morgan will play the role of Sonny and Alexis’ daughter beginning the week of May 21. Like other fans, I’m also wondering why Lexi Ainsworth,who exited the role in October, wasn’t invited back.Update: Looks like Lexi Ainsworth was invited back, but she didn’t want to sign on to commit to a long term contract.
As per TV Line, look for Kristina to have a new attitude based on how she was admitted into Yale.
Here’s the actress showing off her assets on Instagram:
– Anthony Geary and Maurice Bernard spoke to TV Guideabout GH’s reprieve and Geary had the following to say about the new Frank Valentini/Ron Carlivati regime, “I has made me and most of us want to work harder. Some people don’t like it because they got complacent, and I’m not just talking about actors but people throughout the production. Those who don’t want to work harder will not stay.”
– After firing four popular stars Days of our Lives is looking to cast a new role. Soap Opera Digest reports that the soap is looking to cast a “30-to-35-year-old well-built, Caucasian male,” named Drew. Hmm could they finally be bringing Sami’s twin Eric Brady back to town (last played by Jensen Ackles)? Soap vet Greg Vaughan (ex-Lucky, GH; ex-Diego, Y&R) fits the mold for this character. Vaughan was asked to screen-test a couple of years ago, hopefully they’ll call him again.
– Look for Summer and Fen to be aged to teenagers on The Young and the Restless. The soap is reportedly looking for 18-year-olds to play the 15/16 year-olds.
– Meanwhile, Eric Braden (Victor, Y&R) has spoken out on the soap replacements, “They’re replacing the soaps with crap.”
– Soap vet Crystal Chappell (ex-Carly, DAYS; ex-Olivia, Guiding Light) is joining The Bold and the Beautiful next month as Caroline Spencer’s (Lindsey Godfrey)’s other mother, Danielle. The first-ever B&B lesbian storyline sees Chappell’s character paired with Joanna Johnson‘s Karen.
– And now on to the spoilers/teasers:
The Bold and the Beautiful Liam decides to take Hope with him to Fashion Week in Aspen, despite her dependence on pills while Bill launches a scheme to undermine Hope by swarming her with paparazzi. Look for Steffy to try and help Hope. Thomas kisses Caroline at Bikini Bar.
Days of our Lives EJ is not Stefano’s son! Nicole agrees to take EJ back, but on one condition. Lucas’ fiancee ends their engagement. Abe seeks revenge against Stefano while Stefano blames himself for Lexie’s illness. Lucas agrees to Sami’s work proposition. Bo is released from the hospital while John and Marlena are in danger.
General Hospital Sonny has a birthday party. Heather listens in on Olivia and Dante. Lulu is followed. Jason demands answers from Sam, while Elizabeth makes a discovery. Patrick’s depression intensifies.
The Young and the Restless A decision is made about Lucy’s custody. Harmony and Neil kiss. Lauren is arrested. Kyle returns as an adult and is pissed about Jack’s relationship with Nikki.
– Since our memes are doing so well for Girls and The Real Housewives of Vancouver, let’s try some soap-centric image macro memes!
It’s been a difficult week for Days of our Lives fans. It was first announced that head writers Marlene McPherson and Darrell Ray Thomas, Jr. were fired and replaced with former team Gary Tomlin and Chris Whitesell. McPherson and Thomas were brought in last fall for the soap’s highly publicized “reboot,” where they brought back fan favourites Deidre Hall (Marlena), Drake Hogestyn (John), Christie Clark (Carrie), Patrick Muldoon (Austin) and Matthew Ashford (Jack) while also bringing on daytime powerhouse Sarah Joy Brown (Madison).
It was then announced that Lorraine Broderick would be joining the team as a breakdown writer – Broderick helped give All My Children a proper sendoff last year.
While fans knew cast changes were imminent, they had no idea they’d be happen so soon as Soap Opera Digest reported yesterday evening that Christie Clark (Carrie), Patrick Muldoon (Austin), Matthew Ashford (Jack) and Sarah Joy Brown (Madison) were all fired and that there would be even more “epic” exits ahead.
Really? The “new” team has been in place for all about five seconds and they’re already pulling the trigger by firing some of the show’s top performers.
Online DAYS fans are pissed, as they should be. Fans have already compiled lists of characters they’d rather see leave Salem instead (ahem, Daniel, Rafe, Gabby…). Prayer circles have already formed for Bryan Dattilo (Lucas), another fan favourite that was recently brought back. Last week, veteran actress Renee Jones (Lexie)announced she was retiring, with fans suspecting that Lexie’s husband Abe (James Reynolds) will also probably be out.
How many times has Ken Corday given Ashford the boot? Jack’s barely settled back into Salem and now he’s already on his way out again. Fans were thrilled to see Carrie and the original Austin back in town – sure the Austin/Abby faux hook-up was less than stellar, but there was great potential in a Sami vs. Carrie rivalry because of Carrie’s feelings for Sami’s husband Rafe. The scenes between Carrie and Marlena were also touching – that’ll soon be over.
Then there’s the Sarah Brown factor. She’s been burned by the last three soaps she’s starred on. Her return to General Hospital was a complete bust (they had her playing Claudia, a brand new character that was horribly written (hired a guy to shoot a kid, later tried to kidnap a newborn) instead of the role she originated, Carly. She then joined The Bold and the Beautiful but the show had no idea what to do with her (especially since her last name wasn’t Logan and her first name wasn’t Brooke) and now she’s leaving DAYS – a fact she found out about online. Stay classy, NBC.
It’s not like Brown could even return to GH at this point unless Laura Wright decides to vacate the role of Carly. Garin Wolf had the “genius” idea of making Claudia Johnny’s MOTHER instead of sister in a retcon earlier this year before soap heroes Ron Carlivati and Frank Valentini joined the show. There’s no way a 37-year-old Brown can play mother to a 32-year-old Brandon Barash (Johnny).
That leaves Brown with one final daytime option: The Young and the Restless. But be careful what you wish for soap fans…the current regime at the number one soap hasn’t had a great track record with creating proper characters for high profile soap stars (see Genie Francis, Debbie Morgan). So yeah, we live in a world where Sarah Brown barely has a soap to fall back on while Y&R’s tortures fans with “talent” like Yvonne Zima (Daisy).
Sarah Brown deserves so much more – hopefully she’ll secure a high profile primetime gig – unless of course, VR Troopersmakes a return to television, which would be totally awesome.
We could understand NBC’s reasoning behind the writing changes. The ratings weren’t up. But getting rid of fan favourites so quickly? A bit extreme. Perhaps they could have given it some time and really scoped out the situation before undoing a few casting additions that were done. Madison/Brady could have a lot of potential. As would a Carrie/Rafe pairing. The show needs a proper balance with Carrie (the good sister) and Sami (the bad sister). Why not have Jack actually stick around long enough to reunite with his wife and daughter?
– Toronto area soap fans, take note: Days of our Lives stars Kristian Alfonso (Hope), Bryan Dattilo (Lucas) and Molly Burnett (Melanie) will appear at the Manulife Centre Indigo Books location this Friday, March 23 at 5 p.m. to sign copies of Days of our Lives 45 Years: A Celebration in Photos.
Canadian fans can also tune in to The Shopping Channel on Saturday, March 24 to see Kristian Alfonso launch her new jewelry line, Believe. Her showtimes will be: 9 a.m., 1 p.m., 5 p.m. and 8 p.m.
Days of our Lives airs weekdays on Global and NBC. Stay tuned to The TV Watercooler next week for an exclusive with Kristian Alfonso, Bryan Dattilo and Molly Burnett.
– The Young and the Restless has aged the role of Kyle Abbott, the son of Jack Abbott and Diane Jenkins, with Blake Hood. Kyle was recently played by child actor Garrett Ryan a few months ago. While the aging of the character makes sense (Abby and Kyle are supposed to be the same age), fans are a bit worried that this is yet another college grad with a chip on his shoulder (see Adam, Billy, Ronan and Ricky) — hopefully an adult Kyle will be different. It will be good for Jack to have an adult son, especially since the writers constantly gloss over his other son, Keemo (It’s because he’s half-asian, isn’t it? Shame on them). Here’s a clip of Blake Hood on 90210 where he’s giving Annie and our favourite 90210 character ever, Jasper, a hard time:
– A number of soap stars have signed on to Jill Farren Phelps’ (ex-E.P. at General Hospital) Nickelodeon primetime soap, Hollywood Heights including Brittany Underwood (ex-Langston, One Life to Live), Cody Longo Anthony (ex-Nicholas, Days of our Lives), Melissa Ordway (Privileged) and Carlos Ponce (7th Heaven) while James Franco himself will even appear on a few episodes. The 80-episode series will make its debut in June.
– Lauralee Bell (ex-Christine, Y&R) and Erin Chambers (ex-Siobhan, GH) will appear on tonight’s Castle.
– Jon Hensley (ex-Holden) will appear on The Bold and the Beautiful on May 1 and 2 as a doctor while Liam, Steffy and Hope are in Aspen. Meanwhile, Nafeesa Williams (ex-Deanna) will appear as a model on May 8th.
– The Bold and the Beautiful is headed to Italy this May to film 8-10 episodes in the southern coastal region of Puglia. About five cast members will make the trek including Ron Moss (Ridge) and Katherine Kelly Lang (Brooke)…hmm who wants to bet that the other will be Steffy/Liam/Hope?!
Steffy turns to her mother for comfort as Ridge informs Hope and Liam that Steffy did not sign the annulment, therefore they cannot get married right away. Taylor receives a chocolate fountain for Valentine’s Day from Thorne, who we don’t get to see. Hope confronts Steffy and they fight, throwing the melted chocolate on each other from Taylor’s fountain.
Ridge suggests to Steffy that she move on with her life – as long as it’s not Bill. Rick thwarts Ridge’s attempts to edge Eric off the design team. Rick tells his aunt Katie that he’s got a plan to get Steffy out of Liam’s life so that he can be with Hope.
Rick joins the lingerie department of Forrester (or the “Intimate Collection” as they call it) so that he can work closer with Steffy. Rick later ensures that Steffy overhears him talking about her positively to Marcus. Hope meets with two young girls who look up to her holy ways. Rick then “seduces” Steffy and convinces her to sign the annulment papers so that she can move on with her life. Rick quickly presents the papers to Hope and Liam, but did Steffy actually sign the papers?
Coming Up: Steffy turns the tables on Rick and Bill tries to reach out to Liam.
DAYS OF OUR LIVES
Madison confirms to Brady that she’s married to Ian. Madison tries to go after a hurt Brady, but Ian grabs her and informs her that she’s not going anywhere. The next day, Ian drops by to visit Kate and it’s insinuated that they share a romantic past. Kate warns Ian not to make any advances or he’ll have to deal with Stefano’s wrath.
After seeing Carrie and Austin kissing at the square, Abigail runs off and confesses to Melanie that the older man she’s been lusting after is Austin…as in Carrie’s Austin. Austin and Carrie head back to their hotel room, but Carrie pulls away when they are about to make love. The next day, Abigail lashes out at Austin while Sami and Carrie face off. Sami wants Carrie to admit that she has feelings for Rafe, but Carrie tells her that she doesn’t. Austin return in time to break up their fight and take’s Carrie’s side.
Will tells EJ that he confronted his mother about their affair. John assures Marlena that Stefano cannot hurt them as they are stronger than ever. Jennifer tells Abe that a poll worker wanted to skew the results so that Abe can win.
Jack finds his daughter in tears and Abigail confesses that it’s because of a guy. Carrie and Austin also arrive and Carrie reaches out to Abigail and asks her what the problem is. Abigail tells Carrie about the guy who blew her off while Austin panics that Abigail will tell Carrie that he’s the loser she’s talking about.
Jennifer is a bit hurt when Jack tells her that Abigail is confiding in Carrie. Madison tries to apologize to Brady but he lashes out at her for letting him fall in love with a married woman. Victor introduces Maggie and Brady to the new CEO of Titan: Ian. Brady and Ian face off as Maggie and Victor learn that Ian is Madison’s husband. Victor resends his offer to Ian. Ian later runs into Kate and pulls her into a kiss.
Jennifer tells the poll worker not to tamper with the ballot box as Abe wants to win fair and square. The DiMera’s await election results and are livid when it’s announced that Abe Carver has won. Nicole promises EJ that she has a plan. Abe and Lexie celebrate the election results, until she finds out that Abe fed EJ the wrong debate questions. Lexie accuses Abe of becoming just like her father and brother. Things get worse for the couple as Nicole arrives and informs them that the ballot box was tampered with. Roman later interrupts Abe and Lexie to tell them that Abe needs to come to the station for questioning.
Bo, Hope, Marlena and John prepare to head to Alamainia (seriously) and are informed that the visas for Bo and Marlena have been declined, meaning that John and Hope have to go alone. Stefana finally opens up Alice’s envelope (which contains a secret about him) and breaks down in tears.
Coming Up: Abigail wants to make Austin jealous, Marlena exposes Sami’s lie and Will tries to come out to Marlena.
It’s actually getting good!
Sam convinces Jason to go to the hospital to get checked out. Patrick intestigates and concludes that Jason is inoperable. Shawn tutors Michael and later asks Carly to go to the pulmonary ball with him. Maxie told Monica that Liz stole drugs for Lucky back in the fall – resulting in Monica suspending Liz from the hospital. Liz was later asked to the ball by both Ewan and Shawn-Douglas Matt. Carly gets turned on by Johnny after she overhears him give Michael some good advice.
Patrick and Emma surprise Robin with a big Valentine’s Day present: Anna! Anna agrees to watch Emma when Robin and Patrick go back to the hospital to work on a cure for Jason’s condition.
Matt breaks up with Maxie after he finds out what happened with Liz’s job. Steve and Olivia decide to go to the ball together while Steve later informs Maggie that the Chief of Staff at their former hospital is reopening some investigation.
Jason finally tells Carly that Sam is pregnant – she takes it surprisingly well. Jason and Sam watch the mysterious DVD that Franco sent…its hospital footage from the time Jason was a baby.
Dante believes that the charity event that Sonny is throwing is just an alibi for him. Delores goes to Johnny for information about the stripper murders. TJ arrives at the lakehouse, surprising Molly with a party. Maxie visits with Robin in the lab and accidently let’s some gas leak.
Most of Port Charles gathers at the Metro Court for Sonny’s Pulmonary Research Benefit Ball. When Sonny attempts to make an emotional speech on Dante’s behalf, a drunken Johnny tries to outbid him. Sonny accuses Johnny of being jealous of his son and later announces to everyone that Claudia wasn’t his sister, but his mother. Carly and Kate are upset with Sonny for revealing Johnny’s shameful secret. Liz faces off with Maxie after Matt informs her that it’s Maxie’s fault she got suspended at the hospital. Sonny and Dante argue in the parking garage as a gloved hand aims a gun at them. Patrick goes to find Robin the lab and passes out because of the gas. Coming Up: Starr Manning comes to Port Charles, Anna makes an important phone call and will Robin “die”? L
THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS
Adam is visited by Hope
Cane, Lily and their loved ones arrive in France for their second wedding. Genevieve also arrives and looks on in tears and Cane and Lily re-marry.
Kevin realizes he needs to stay married to Angelina in order to protect Chloe and Delia. Michael, Lauren, Eden and Gloria worry about Kevin. Delia has her birthday party with Chloe, Billy, Victoria, Esther, Nikki, Katherine and Murphy. Nikki gives Victor’s present: a saddle so that she can ride the real Pinkerton.
Victor plans a romantic evening for Nikki and promises her that he has nothing to do with Chelsea and Anita being in town. The next morning, Nikki finds Anita’s earring and realizes that Victor was lying. She tries to contact Victor, but he’s off to Franco to try to win back Beauty of Nature for Laura Genevieve.
Billy and Victoria kiss which makes Chelsea clutch her stomach. Billy and Victoria later feel the baby kick. Nikki confronts Anita about the earring while Paul tells Billy and Victoria about Chelsea and her mother’s rap sheet.
Jack tells Ashley he wants to see what legal action he can take against Genevieve since he told her how much he was bidding for Beauty of Nature. Jack later meets a tough physical therapist named Sarge – who is Darnell Williams from All My Children.
Adam convinces Sharon to go back to Faith. Adam goes to visit Hope’s grave and is later visited by her spirit. Nick brings Faith to see Sharon at the airport in Kansas and Sharon realizes she wants to stay and help Adam. Adam tells Hope that he can deal with his blindness alone and doesn’t need any help. Hope tells Adam that he’s not alone as Sharon returns.
Coming Up: Adam and Sharon make love, Phyllis confronts her father and Ashley offers Cane a job.
Taylor pointed out the obvious: Hope/Liam/Steffy are Brooke/Ridge/Taylor redux
After he leaves Steffy, Liam and Hope promise to spend the rest of their lives together. Brooke and Ridge waited to hear which one of their daughters Liam would choose. Taylor found out that Liam was going to serve her daughter with annulment papers, but still tried to convince him to give his marriage with Steffy another shot. Hope told Brooke that she wanted to marry Liam as soon as possible.
Taylor points out that Hope is doing to Liam what Brooke did with Ridge years ago. Hope went over to console Steffy after she received the annulment papers but Steffy warned Hope that she hasn’t given up on having a future with Liam. Hope held a press conference where she announced she was still virtuous and that Liam was going to marry her the next day while Ridge and Taylor worried about Steffy’s emotional state.
The Logan’s gathered at Brooke’s house on Friday for Hope and Liam’s wedding while Steffy still hadn’t signed the divorce papers – Steffy wants a actual divorce because an annulment makes it seem like she and Liam meant nothing to each other. Rick told Hope he would make sure she has a happy life with Liam. Ridge tried to get Steffy to sign the annulment papers while Hope waited for Liam to arrive.
Coming Up: Hope and Steffy face-off, Taylor and Thorne’s Valentine’s Day plans go awry, Katie and Rick team up to help Hope and Steffy discovers another reason to hate Brooke.
DAYS OF OUR LIVES
Madison’s married to an old man
Austin visited with Kate at the DiMera mansion where he told his mother about the tension with Carrie. Kate told Austin to spend more time with his wife. Stefano tried to play nice and invited Austin and Carrie over for dinner one night. Sami walked in on Rafe and Carrie kissing and she lashes out on them. Sami refused to listen to them as they tried to explain that they got caught up in the excitement of solving a case. Austin arrived and found out about the kiss and went on to attack Rafe, but Carrie stopped him. Carrie tried to tell Austin that the kiss meant nothing, but he walked out on her. Meanwhile, Sami kicked Rafe out of the loft. Austin ended up drunk in his office where Abigail dropped by and they ended up kissing.
EJ and Nicole accused Abe and Jennifer of receiving the debate questions early. Nicole realized that Lexie had no idea that her husband was playing dirty and told EJ they could exploit this and bring Lexie back over to the DiMera side.
Hope finally opened that damn letter and found out that she and John were married (back from the Princess Gina/Mercenary John days – yes, so stupid). Carrie informed Bope and Jarlena that they weren’t allowed to file an annulment because the marriage was consummated (back when Zach’s paternity was in question) and in order to have the marriage annulled, Fancy Face and Stefano’s Pawn have to head to Alamania (seriously) together and stay there for two weeks while waiting on the annulment.
A hungover Austin woke up the next morning and assumed he and Abigail had sex – Abigail didn’t tell him otherwise. Feeling guilty, Austin made peace with Carrie and suggested they move back to Zurich where they never argued. Now that she thinks she’s got Austin, Abigail forgave Melanie and told her to go for Chad. Abigail later saw Austin and Carrie kissing in the Horton Square.
Rafe tells Sami that he’s quit his practice with Carrie. Will is stunned to learn that Rafe has moved out and blasts Sami for being a hypocrite. At the pub, Rafe (finally) realized that there’s more going on and asked Will what he’s been keeping from him about Sami.
A mysterious figure watches as Brady takes Madison out for a night at the square. Brady proposes to Madison as Nicole and EJ look on. Madison doesn’t give Brady an answer to his proposal and heads back to her hotel room where she’s greeted by the mystery figure, Ian (soap vet Ian Buchanan). Ian grills Madison about her relationship with another man just as Brady arrives. Ian introduces himself to Brady as Madison’s husband.
Coming Up: Victor appoints Ian as the new CEO of Titan, EJ worries that Nicole will find out his secret from Will, Rafe refuses to give up on his marriage and the new mayor of Salem is revealed.
James Franco is NOT the father
The DNA results are in: Jason’s the father of Sam’s baby. When Sonny asked Kate where she was all night, she had no clue. The show wastes Helena’s screentime by placing her with Cassandra where they argue and stuff. Maxie attempts to make Matt jealous with Spinelli. Robin finds out that the new drug protocol is working. They later check out the lot that Patrick got and imagine what their new house will look like (Emma stayed in the car). Carly found out that Kate is the new co-owner of the Metro Court.
Maxie and Matt are at odds over his friendship with Elizabeth. Matt is less than thrilled about Liz and Ewen’s friendship. Lulu starts working at the PCPD by organizing the evidence room. Olivia confronts Kate about taking ownership of the Metro Court and what’s going on with her and Sonny.
Robin called Maggie and Steve out on their past and some boring details were revealed about some secret they shared in Memphis (we fell asleep). Ethan blindfolded Cassandra, but when it wasn’t for anything kinking (about helping her find out about her passed), we fell back asleep since both actors are leaving.
Diane gave Alexis a book on menopause, while Molly tried to help TJ read (no, not the book about menopause).
Jason and Sam later discussed how Carzilla will react to the news that their having a baby. The show even brought Monica out to discuss Jason’s impending fatherhood while Sam shared the baby news with Molly and Alexis (we miss you Kristina). Jason would later have what is being called a “neurological” episode. It may or may not having something to do with Oscar ® nominated actor James Franco. Sam returned home to find St. Jason unconscious.
Molly made a new friend on MyFace, the Facebook rip-off. Carly gave some advice to the unshaved Johnny who is still dealing with the fact this his sister (who was only eight years older) is actually his biological mother. The hot lady cop with the accent tried to call Johnny for help, but Carly and Johnny were a little too busy.
Maxie complained to Monica about Liz, while little Cameron finally confronted Liz about Lucky not being around.
Coming Up: Anna (Finola Hughes) returns, Jason tells Carly about the baby, Robin tries to help Jason, Dante is being followed and PRAISE SOAP JESUS, RON CARLAVATI’S MATERIAL STARTS AIRING!
THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS
Ricky blogged about his crazy aunt Patty while Nikki Newman finally moved back to the ranch – but for how long?
Lily and Cane become engaged and tell their loved ones. Katherine decides to throw them a wedding in France. Nikki visits with Jack at the hospital while Victor told Genevieve that she wouldn’t be able to run a business. Later, Genevieve tried to hire Neil to run Beauty of Nature (we still miss Brash & Sassy). Ashley fired Genevieve from Jabot while Traci packed up her stuff from Abbott mansion.
Chelsea found out that she was having a boy. Later, her mother, Anita (Anita (Daisy Duke aka Catherine Bach), arrived and tried to play all nice and innocent, but Billy and Victoria were on to them. They decide to let Anita stay with Chelsea in the garage apartment to keep a close eye on them.
Nikki finds out that the charges against her are dropped. Fan you hear is a sigh of relief from fans everywhere that this Diana Jenkins murder storyline has finally run its course. Nikki later moves back to the Newman ranch, where she belongs.
When Phyllis turned down Ricky’s story about his crazy aunt Patty, he posts it elsewhere and it becomes viral. Paul confronted his son about the story and Ricky lashed out at his father for wanting to protect his sister but abandoning the mother of his child, Isabella.
Nina went to see Ronan after Chloe told her that he was leaving town. Ronan had a hard time telling Nina he loved her to her face but he later sent her a package containing the book she wrote about him being taken from her with a note telling her goodbye and that he loves her.
Adam was told that his blindness would be permanent. Victor suggested that Sharon take Adam to Hope’s farm in Kansas. Jack tells Adam that what’s happened to them is Victor’s fault, not Patty and they should team up later on to make Victor pay. Once in Kansas, Sharon told Adam that it was all Victor’s idea.
In order to stay alive, Kevin is forced to marry Angelina. Chloe finally slaps Kevin. When Kevin thinks he can have the marriage annulled, Angelo tells him that if he breaks his daughter’s heart, Chloe and Delia would pay the price. About two weeks after finding an amnesiac Jeffrey, Jill finally lets him loose on Gloria.
Avery informed Phyllis that their father has fallen ill.
After she finds out that she wasn’t invited to Cane and Lily’s wedding, Genevieve gets airline tickets to Port Charles so she can return to General Hospital as Laura – err France.
Coming Up: Cane & Lily get remarried, Hope “visits” Adam, Nikki finds evidence against Victor.
Welcome to the first edition of Ask Jeeves. In this week’s edition, find out when Ringer returns, which shows are on the chopping block and what happened to the girl from Blossom. And for the record, I’m not stealing “Jeeves” from anyone — it was a nickname long before Ask.com and probably will be haunt me for years to come. If you’d like to have your TV questions answered, fill out the form at the end of this post and it’ll appear in next week’s column.
When will Ringer come back? – Kenza and Cindi
The wait is almost over! Ringer returns next Tuesday, Jan. 31 at 9 p.m. on The CW (it’ll air on Friday, Feb. 3 at 10 p.m. on Global). The good news is that Ringer will probably air new episodes for the rest of the season, without taking any breaks. In next week’s episode, Bridget (Sarah Michelle Gellar) offers to host a fundraiser that her friend Greer (guest star Madchen Amick) is holding for Juliet’s (Zoey Deutch) school and finds out that Greer knew one of Siobhan’s dark secrets.
Has ABC cancelled Pan Am? – Jag Not exactly, ABC will air all of the 14 episodes it ordered before GCB replaces it on the schedule. ABC will make a decision to renew the series in May.
Whatever happened to Blossom’s Mayim Bialik? – Kosma Although the actress completed her PhD in 2008, she returned to acting full time in 2010 when she joined the cast of The Big Bang Theory as a series regular. She was also caught on What Not to Wearawhile back.
What’s next for Lily and Cane on The Young and the Restless? – Jenny Looks like the couple (played by Christel Khalil and Daniel Goddard) will remarry on a very special Valentine’s Day episode.
What happened to Brothers & Sisters? – Sheri Sorry Sheri! ABC cancelled the series last May. As for Brothers & Sisters alumni on TV, you can catch Rob Lowe on Parks & Recreation and Emily VanCamp on Revenge.
Does Alcatraz’s highly rated premiere doom Terra Nova to cancellation? – Keith From what I hear, Fox is waiting to see how well Terra Nova does in foreign markets before they make their official decision. Although it was one of the highest rated new shows this season, it seems that Fox needs more time to see if it would be financially possible due to the high production cost. The bottom line is about how many timeslots the network will have available next season. Reality takes in a big chunk and then whatever scripted show is cheaper to produce comes in second. Alcatraz films in Vancouver instead of Queensland, Australia – so it does seem to be the cheaper solution and the ratings for the J.J. Abrams show are high as you mentioned.
Will 2 Broke Girls return for a second season? – Ashleigh It’s probably safe to assume that 2 Broke Girls will be back for a second season. We should get the official word in the next few months. Hopefully the second season will see the girls move a little further away from that racist diner!
How much longer will A Gifted Man be around? – Sheri CBS ordered 13 episodes of the Patrick Wilson series. So, it should be on air until March or so. No word yet on a second season renewal.
Got questions about your favourite TV shows? Like when does ____ return from its hiatus? Or why does so-and-so have a new face on ____?
Send in your questions (you can either fill out this form, or tweet me @JeevanBrar) and I’ll come up with the answers each Tuesday.
– Veronica Mars & Deputy Leo together again? Max Greenfield would like Kristen Bell to guest star on New Girl. The actor, who plays Schmidt, told E! Online that “Kristen is the type of person that if you call her and she’s available, which is seldom, she’ll be like, ‘Yeah! Let’s go, let’s do it.’ So I think it’s pretty likely. It would be pretty awesome. I love Kristen. I think that she is so talented and hilarious.” Bell stars on the new Showtime series, House of Lies, which will premiere on The Movie Network/Movie Central in Canada on Monday. I’ve seen the first three episodes, and it’s great.
– It seemed like the American networks were shopping for some new shows in Canada yesterday, which was great news for Bell Media. NBC is looking to acquire CTV’s Saving Hope, a medical drama starring Erica Durance while The CW is close to signing a deal to air MuchMusic’s The L.A. Complex this summer. L.A. Complex, which stars Degrassi‘s Cassie Steele and Neighbours‘ Jonathan Patrick Moore,follows a group of 20 somethings who live in the same Los Angeles apartment complex while trying to kickstart their careers and premieres on MuchMusic on Jan. 10th.
– We’ll probably meet Rachel’s dads on Glee later this season…but Elton Johnwon’t be one of them.
– NBC chief Bob Greenblatt announced at the TCA today that Community hasn’t been cancelled (yet), but they aren’t sure when it’ll come back. Meanwhile, Harry Connick Jr. will joinLaw & Order: SVU for an arc as a romantic interest for Mariska Hargitay‘s character. Hargitay is also said to be sticking around. Also sticking around (well, if the show is renewed) is Alec Baldwin on 30 Rock!
– Young and the Restless fans are upset (and rightfully so) that Harmony, an African American character played by soap icon Debbi Morgan referred to her white female boss as “Miss Phyllis.”
– Also at Y&R is another round of stunt casting: The Dukes of Hazzard‘s Catherine Bach (Daisy Duke) will appearas Anita, Chelsea’s (Melissa Claire Egan) mother this February.
– CTV will air NBC’s Betty White’s Off Their Rockers beginning Jan. 16th at 8 p.m. The hidden camera comedy is an adaptation of the popular Belgian series, Benidorm Bastards.
– Vulture‘s got moreParks and Recreation characters as cartoons AND a video of the Happy Endings cast singing the Full House theme song.
– What did you think of the latest Revenge? When Tyler showed up at the beginning of the episode, my mind totally went to “Did I miss an episode?” Of course, it was a flashforward. But seriously, I’m actually going to miss Tyler. I hope they bring him back. I’m glad they didn’t kill him off.
– Could Bradley Cooper appearas Lex Luthor in Man of Steel?
– So, how happy are my fellow Delena ‘shippers after last night’s The Vampire Diaries? Okay, so I’ve got a promo for next week’s episode: